Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Conference Was the Highlight!

This was kind of a downer week I wont lie...BUT, conference topped it off so it ended up being a really good one in my book. Ok well let me rephrase that, I loved this week because I got to watch all sessions of conference! Haha I hope that is better. The reason I said it the first way will be explained. I will, however, start with conference first :)
OK first off, bear with me because I forgot to bring my notes, but I will add that I took 11 pages of notes on conference....back and front....which is a lot especially because I really have never taken a single note on conference before. Anyway, main thing that stood out to me was President Eyring's talk. I LOVED his quote that was something like this, ¨Give me these mountains, give me these challenges.¨ I feel like I have grown the most in this last year than ever in my life....with Mom having her brain tumor, me going away to college, and then leaving on the mission, I really have never had a year like this. Especially being here in Argentina, trying to learn Spanish and all, it has been one of the most challenging mountains to climb for me. But I will say that it has been the most rewarding, and the best growing experience that I could ever have. If anyone reading is thinking about serving a mission and has doubts, Just Go! You will not regret it. Well after that rant, haha, the other thing I noticed was how intensely every single speaker talked about families. I loved it. I dont know why but I got so much out of it. Even though a lot of them were directed at parents, I still will be able to use much of those teachings when I start a family in 20 or so years :) The other major theme was forgiveness of old wrongdoings. I am really glad they talked about that... it will definitely help us here in Argentina as missionaries. There are a lot of people here that get easily offended by someone in the church, and then go inactive because of that. I don't know why, but the Argentinians are very proud, and if you do something to offend them, they can hold grudges like no other people I know. So I loved that about conference too. And I am really bugged that I forgot my notes, I really had a lot of great stuff to talk about. But anyway, I hope you all got to watch it! We as missionaries got to see all sessions and it was even in English for us American missionaries. Loved it :)
Ok so as far as missionary work went this week....I wasnt very pleased. Because while Elder Gomez and I are being as obedient as we can, we have not seen any fruits to our labor. Well that isn't entirely true. We do have Carmen. She still has her baptismal date for the 21st of April. I am super excited for that because she really is excited and planning on getting baptized. We think we found her concern, and it was holding her back. The missionaries that taught her first didn't do the teaching very well so she still had a ton of questions about really important fundamentals of the gospel like who is Joseph Smith, and what is the Book of Mormon? So yeah those are really important things to know about :) Haha we have begun to re-teach her everything and she is progressing well. However, other than Carmen....we have no one else. We had Monica who started out great, but then started avoiding us and we can't get in contact with her. Still don't know why. Also we had Evelin. I really thought she was going to get baptized but has now started avoiding us also. I'm not sure why the Lord blessed us to find such great investigators that were just going to avoid us after 2 lessons. But I trust Him so we will see. Also we had Marco and Marcelo. We passed by their house to see if they would go to conference with us, which they declined, then got some interesting news from Marcelo. He is a member of the church. He was baptized 8 years ago and just decided not to tell us! haha I was so shocked that I didn't know what to say. So we set up a follow up appointment with them and are hoping to get a marriage date for Marco so he can get baptized eventually. So yeah as for the investigator side of things it's not all that good. But Elder Gomez and I are really working well together and teaching well (actually he is helping me learn how to teach a lot better). He is a great missionary and I'm really grateful to have him as my comp to help me be obedient and work hard. Loving it with him. 
Ok now for my Argentine stories/unique things. This week the weirdest thing I saw would have to be a dog. Not the dog actually but what it was eating. We weren't sure, but upon closer inspection we saw bones, and fur, and teeth. It was definitely another dog! Haha I was so shocked by that and just couldn't get over it.  Elder Gomez wasn't even phased! He doesn't really like dogs so it kind of makes sense though. I just was astonished. So yeah :) As for the weird Argentine thing...it's really actually a weird catholic thing. The catholic church is all about saints, and here in Argentina they have one called Gauchito Gil (pronounced ¨gowcheetoh hill¨). Well, why its so weird is because he is a famous robber. Kind of like robin hood. He supposedly stole all of the rich peoples money and wine so that they would have to live in poverty like he was in his childhood. I'm not really sure why they worship him, but there are a lot of poor people that do. I guess they think its a good idea to rob and steal. Haha just kidding about that, but it's  a weird thing to worship as a church. 
Anyway that is my week! I hope you all had the chance to watch, and gain a lot of knowledge from conference this weekend! If not, go to lds.org  and watch it! It really has helped me to change my way of thinking so much already. Love you all and make sure you have a good week. 

Con amor, Elder Wells

QUESTIONS FROM MOM:

Is 3 months in AG seeing you pretty much adjusted? Yeah a lot more. I can fend for myself and understand people so its a lot easier being here and more fun :)
How is your Spanish improving with a Latino Companion? A lot. I can pretty much always communicate exactly what I want to say. I just lack vocabulary of objects and things like kitchen supplies or like the word for wheel...I was wondering what that was on the way here...
           Are you still drinking the water? Yes. If I change areas after this transfer(which is very likely) I            
          will probably have to stop depending on where I go. 

How are you liking your companion? A lot, he helps me be obedient and work hard. Its a change from Elder Leavitt, but it will definitely help me be a better missionary.
Any news on getting a new apartment? not yet. I dont think we will get one anytime soon either.
Have you seen any positive changes in your zone since the last transfer? Not really much change actually. 
Is your Bishop changing his attitude towards the missionaries yet? A little bit. He gave elder Gomez a pair of shoes. so I think so







No comments:

Post a Comment