Monday, January 2, 2012

NOW I'M SEEING THE REAL ARGENTINA!


Welp this is a lot different than I thought it would be! haha Argentina is insane! Its like the strangest place I have ever been but I love it all the same. There really is just garbage everywhere in the streets and everywhere we go, especially on the dirt roads. But its what I signed up for so oh well! haha today we talked to some elders from an area called Marcos Paz, and that is a really chetto(rich) area, and they were like astounded at the dirtiness and all of the weird people walking around. Haha it was funny because that is like all I know. But oh well, I will probably be here for like 8 months because the first presidency wants it to be that way so we can set up our roots in the area and really get to know the members. Working through the members is really being pushed hard right now.
Anyway this past week was really interesting. We don't have any solid investigators yet besides a woman named Carmen. She is a lady about 60 years old, but doesn't want to get baptized till the end of this month when she comes back from a job she has in the city. I have learned really quickly though that when an Argentine says they are going to do something, you usually don't count on it. Like, for example, our bathroom is ripped up right now because there was a leak, and it has been about a month and a half since the guy said he was going to come back and do it.  So that is kind of what you expect when someone says come back tomorrow and we will listen. Haha it is discouraging at times, but then we found this lady and her son, Francisca and Noel. The mom was way into the lesson at first and then kind of tuned out. But her son came out and was way into it, I had the strongest feeling that this kid is supposed to get baptized. I really hope that happens cuz he is a cool little kid, and I don't want him to turn into the kids that stand on the corners and look for people to rob. We call them pevay choros, which basically means punk kids in Spanish or something....I cant remember the translation exactly.
Anyway, some cool things that happened this week- one morning we woke up and looked down into the street. There was this nice truck sitting there and a lady with a big wooden pole just beating on the truck! ha ha she did that for like 5 minutes and smashed all of the windows and such, and then the guy got out and just like walked towards her. He didn't do like anything about it! The lady went inside and then the guy drove away. But the next day the truck was back and all the dents and stuff were fixed. Super weird, and something you would never see in the states! ha ha another thing, we went to this members house looking for her husband, and they had this dog with really pretty eyes that my comp and I just pet the whole time. Anyway, when we left, the dog followed us out. The lady said it was just a street dog anyway and it would come back so don't worry about it. But the dog followed us the whole day! haha it was like our little mini missionary and would fight off all the dogs that came up to us. Haha and when we went into lessons she would just chill outside and sleep until we were done. We tried to take her back but she escaped the fence, so we took her back three more times till she finally stayed. Haha it was awesome but annoying when she wouldn't go home. Anyway, today was also good because they brought back other missionaries to clean our pench. because it was so dirty when i got there i didn't have to help, but I still did because I felt bad. SO now the pench is finally cleanish. The vacuum doesn't really work so the floor is really dusty and dirty still but other than that it is great.
Nothing else to report here. But I did want to tell you mom that if I get letters from someone, I will probably email them to you with their address and have you send them if that's OK. Later I will probably just get their email so you can email them to them. Anyway love you all and make sure you pray morning and night!
Chow, Elder Wells


Hey papi! Thanks for the email it was good to hear from you! I don't have a whole lot of time left but I wanted to explain about the fireworks and such here. I am going to try to send a video of the crazy artillery barrage that occured all across the city. Like for miles and miles it was just firework after firework. Craziest thing I have seen. As far as the food here....there isn't a whole lot that is specific to Argentina. One of the main meats i like here is Chorizo. Which is like an intestine filled with all of the good meat ground up. And it's pretty cheap to buy so thats nice too. I would have liked to be at pizerria limone for that party it sounds like a lot of fun. We just hung out in the pench and lit a few small fireworks. I'll try to send pictures of that too next week. As far as the members they are all really great and supportive, that is if they are active. We have a bunch of people that are like half member families that we like to go to to get a lesson with a member. Then they usually feed us so that is a bonus as well. My comp is a great guy and he makes me laugh a lot so that helps. I don't know if you remember but he is from Draper and went to Alta and is a good guy all around. But love you dad. I'll talk to you again next week and let everyone know I love them! Especially Yuki :) I miss her lots. Especially cuz all of the dogs here are gross and have limbs missing, and haven't had a bath for like a year. Oh well. Love ya pops.

Questions from mom;
What is the name of the town you are in? I am in Rafael Castillo area in the Gonzalez Catan Zone     

Have you seen a store there where you can buy the specific kind of ipod and speakers you want? I'm thinking it might be less expensive to buy them there with postage and all. If so, how much compared to the States? Electronics are a lot more expensive here. The only thing that might be cheaper are the speakers. I am honestly just worried that if you send it it might get stolen out of the box. i will check this week and email you next week for sure

Are you taking a lot of pictures, documenting all your mission???  Did you figure out how to email pictures to me? trying to do it. I can, I just need to get an sd card reader from an electronics store

Still writing alot in your journal??? its harder here than in the MTC. but about once every other day.

Is there anything else I should mail to you?   any american food. all of it here is way expensive.

Have you heard from Hillman, Oleson, and Bracken or your Sisters from the MTC? only when we were at the mission home with them last week. since then no.

Have you heard from any of your friends? not since I left the mtc. it takes like a month for a dear elder to get here so I honestly have no idea. I only get to check mail when I go into the mission office like once or twice a transfer. kinda depressing honestly. 




No comments:

Post a Comment