Monday, January 30, 2012

A "Gift of Tongues Experience," and NoTransfers


What a week. It actually seemed like the longest week of the mission so far. But that's not a bad thing because I grew a lot. (or at least I feel like I did) The major growing experience was that this past Tuesday, I got sent out on divisions with Elder Bracken (one of the elders I was with in the MTC and who is now in my district here). SO we both know almost no Spanish, and we are there for a whole day to just fend for ourselves. I got to lead the area too so I was now senior comp for the day. I'm not gonna lie I was scared out of my mind. But the good news is that it actually was not that bad. I understood people and could respond, and the most surprising thing is that they understood me! Haha I was so astonished by what happened that I was just speechless that night. But I will say that it was the most tired I have ever been in my whole life. Gosh I hit the pillow really hard that night. But I now know that the gift of tongues is real because the next day when I was back with my comp. and I could not speak for the life of me, and was not understanding much. I think my brain was strained from the day before or something. Anyway it was awesome and a great learning and testimony building experience for me.
One thing I have been trying to do this past week is write down all of the things that are interesting or things that happen here. One of them being that we had a "Noche de Hogar" this past Thursday, or in English a Home Night. But what it really is is family home evening, for some reason they call it home night here. It was really good and we did a lesson and showed everyone the baptismal font and our investigator C***** came with her son S*******! It was awesome and she said she felt good when she was there. She also has a baptismal date for the 24th! But she still has to stop smoking....so there's that. :( but I know she can do it.) 
Unique  things about Argentina:  in my area the choice place to confess your love, or apologize to a loved one is by writing it with spraypaint on their wall, on the bus, or any surface you can find. One looked like this- Lo siento Maria, te kiero mucho, tu amor Victor. Haha its really weird I dont know why they do it...but oh well así es la vida de argentina. Another weird thing, they have bars here on every window you can see....literally. But its definitely necessary because there are some sketchy people here. Just a thing to adjust to. Also they don't have garbage cans to take out to the street, they have little baskets like 5 feet high that they put it in. The garbage man comes like 2 times a week and empties it...but there still is trash everywhere. So yeah there's that.
Other things that happened. I forgot to write about the  huge service project we did. We built a roof.  It took about 5 hours and 15 people to do but it was way worth it. I forgot to take my camera too so I don't have any pics....but Elder Leavitt and I mixed concrete for about 5 hours straight so that was fun :) I was super tired and crashed for like an hour after that. But way worth it because  the dad of the family isn't a member and we have been working with him so it helped him trust us more.
Well, I have to go because today is transfer meeting so we have to go into Ramos Mejia to the meeting and see where everyone is going. I know I'm staying here and so is Elder Leavitt, but Presidente told Elder Leavitt he has to go to every meeting because he is the comedic relief :) haha I thought that was funny. Sad thing though is Elder Johnson who lives in our pench is leaving. He is a great guy also from Ontario, Canada like Elder Hillman. SO that's sad. Anyway, love you all, make sure you're reading the scriptures and I'll talk to you again next week.
Love Elder Wells
PS jealous you are in St. George....its hot there but not as hot....gosh, the humidity is terrible especially because it rained the last two days here....


QUESTIONS:


What is your laundry situation? We dont really have a dryer....or a washer so yeah....haha we wash everything by hand
Are you using your sleeping bag yet? its too hot, i got a blanket from the offices and just sleep on top of the sleeping bag for bedding. Works great :)

Did you get a new mattress yet? Nope. but i am going to ask about it today
 
How is your back now? still use ibuprofen but its better. I am doing the stretches every night


Did you find out if you really have to stay in Rafael Castillo for 8 months? most likely yes. unless im amazing and get a zone leader or district leader position. we will see.
 

Where were you and Elder L. when he freaked out about the spider? haha washing my clothes in the back. ill have to send pics of the pension to give you a better idea.
  
                         And How in the world did you fall out of your bed onto your face? haha  I'm used to                                 having a king- sized bed at home....and my sleeping bag was hanging out over the edge so i  
                       I misjudged the distance. 


ON a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being perfect) how is your ability to speak now? 5. when I try hard I can say what I want to,  just lack of vocabulary takes its toll pretty quickly. Unless I talk about the gospel then I'm usually good.

How did Elder Leavitt handle the death of his grandma? pretty well... but I don't have anything to compare it to. He needed like a day off so we took it easy one day. He's good though now.

Do you feel unsafe there in R.C. at night? at night yes, especially if we are down by the street called Polledo....
Have you had to wear your boots in the rain yet? no its not worth it because it hasn't rained that hard yet

Have you been caught in a rainstorm yet?  If so, How'd you do? yes.....haha we just kept walking? how else do you handle the rain?






No comments:

Post a Comment