Monday, October 22, 2012

A Converted Disciple

Well thanks mom, I really enjoyed that email. In conference I wasn't able to pay a ton of attention to Elder Holland's talk. So you definitely made me think a lot more about how I will continue being a disciple of Christ even after this short year of full time service is over. I especially love this quote  "The call is to come back, to stay true, to love God, and to lend a hand. I include in that call to fixed faithfulness every returned missionary who ever stood in a baptismal font and with arm to the square said, “Having been commissioned of Jesus Christ. That commission was to have changed your convert forever, but it was surely supposed to have changed YOU forever as well."   It's kind of a tear jerker for me right there. Also I got a letter from Miranda Jessee at transfers and she asked me what I was planning on doing to keep spreading the gospel after I got home and I didn't really know what to tell her. But in church yesterday I was thinking about it and thought of a lot of people that are  less active, or friends I have from school that I would like to talk to about their beliefs or about the church. It was interesting how easily I thought of the people if I just took a second to think about it and try to imagine myself talking to them. I think the mission has really helped me to not have as much fear of talking to random people. If you have fear of men you can't really get much done here in the mission. Also in church the second counselor in the bishopric kind of dropped cane about the brothers in the elders quorum not doing anything to help less actives feel good about coming to church. That is something that I definitely never thought of before being here, but he challenged them to just call someone that's a member and say ¨hey how are you? We missed you at church today. Wanted to see how you're doing and if there is anything I can do for you.¨ Really it takes two minutes and could be the thing that helps someone work towards their salvation. Isn't that worth the 50 cents you payed to call them?


Anyway, this was a good week. Overall I am a bit happier where I'm now at. We were able to teach 2 more lessons than last week, and found 3 more investigators than last week. Its not outstanding, but its progress. I was also really happy with the people we found. Overall they all show some potential, and the last girl we found last night is really awesome. Her name is Macarena and she is studying to be Gendarmeria or in the National Guard. She is 19 and just awesome. She showed a ton of interest and really liked what we were able to share about the plan of salvation because her mom died when she was 13. She is really good and I think will progress a ton. She just has a really busy schedule because of her studies. But we talked a bit about weapons and stuff. (See mom watching all that military channel before the mission payed off a bit.) But I'm excited to see where things go with her. Also we have a man named Alberto. He is 60 and is really interested. He told us ¨Si no sé porque pero tengo muchas ganas de ir a tu iglesia. Por alguna razón, me atrae mucho.¨ Or basically he just feels like he needs to go to our church. He wasn't able to come yesterday because it was Mothers day here and he had to go celebrate it with family. But he is really cool and one of the few people we have that is progressing! :) PRAYERS!!!!! haha its good though. Also this week we found Estella and Alfredo and their two kids(that are like 40 years old). Alfredo is a member but was baptized like 45 years ago in the campo, and after age 12 didn't ever go again. SO he is re-learning everything and his wife and daughter were super interested in the lesson we had with them! We have a return appointment with them tonight so we will see how it went with their homework to read 3 nephi 11 and pray about it. :)

Let's see, the other thing that happened this week was I completed 1 year in the mission. It was not that eventful of a day but I feel like the time is going by way faster than before. I don't know but its just weird and hard to explain. But for my year mark we were actually fasting to find investigators, so we used our hour at lunch to make cookie dough and brownies instead of eat! (photos included) It was awesome and super tasty. It was a ton of cookies too. We just finished off the last ones last night. And one cool thing is that my comp really likes to cook and always gets new recipes from his family. I like to cook too but more simple and cheaper stuff. So its a good thing for me. I have also started to do a lot more working out. Not a ton because I dont have a whole lot of time, but I'm sick of being a twig. Haha so it will take time and patience to see results but I'm pretty committed this time. We will see how that turns out :) But for all of you that have sent me "happy year mark" thank you :) I appreciate it and especially those of you who still keep in contact with me and at least read these emails. It would be depressing to find out that no one reads them. But at least my family does! Haha love you all :) 

Anyway, I will end by saying I am happy here in the mission because I know that this is where I have to be right now. It's a commandment from the Lord to serve a mission and I know that its the right thing for me to do. I am loving the work, it is hard, but the man I think I am becoming is worth the effort. Also, I know this is the true church and that the message I am spreading is from God. If you have doubts of that just take your question straight to the one who knows all of the answers. Love you all so much and am thankful for all you have all done to help me become who I am today. Have a great week and I'll be praying for you all. Oh and happy Argentine Mother's Day mom! I love you a ton even though you aren't celebrating the holiday right now! haha Cuidense ;)

Un Besito, Elder Wells

Questions:
Have you seen small things that point to the reason you are in this new area? Not really. I just know I'm here for a reason and I'm doing my best to be the best missionary I can. I know I'm here to help Elder Hansen learn to talk though. He is SUPER quiet. 
Did you figure out that any time you ask for a change, challenges usually arise, even though the original problem is solved? Yeah I knew that before.  It's interesting though. Makes me think of the "Grass is always greener on the other side of the world" concept. Anyway....
Where is your companion from? Mesa ArizonaDid you receive any mail at last transfers? Yeah two letters. One from Kylie Patten and one from Miranda Jessee. It's hard to mail them back though because I can't send it from my area. I have to give it to other elders. 

Do you still get invited to the Aguero home? Um he is really busy usually. So it's only if we have like a reason to go by. Elder Christopherson came to a fireside this past weekend so he translated for him and wasnt in church. Also this weekend Elder Bednar is coming and he will translate for him. Yeah, he's busy.
Any questions for me about things I have forgotten? Were you able to find the christmas cd? how is Jake? how is Taylor E.? How is Chase? Have you heard anything about Ashley A.? I think she was supposed to leave a little bit ago for the mission. 
What are your plans for p-day today? We're going to use my ping pong stuff for the first time and make pizzas with a couple other areas! It should be enjoyable. We would play soccer, but it's raining.
Have you had any money problems? No. I used 100 pesos to buy more razor blades at walmart. and I took out another 500 pesos to have on reserve. Also I'm going to dry clean my suit for the first time so that will use another 100.
What qualities do you like about your new companion? He is pretty laid back and likes to cook, which leaves me a bit more time to do a couple other things.  
How much time per week do you spend doing district leader stuff? not that much. Just at night and on divisions. Oh by the way, I get to go back to Celina this week. It didnt happen last week, and then the next day I'm going on divisions with the zone leaders. So it will be a week full of divisions.
Do you realized Brayden returns home on November 16th - ish? Yeah it weirds me out! Gosh I'll get home a whole year after him.....he will be married before I'm back!

New Pensh

Culinary Skills

Celebrating Hump Day

No comments:

Post a Comment